To ensure that you receive the most accurate course placement, it’s important that you do your best on your ACCUPLACER test. Even a short time spent reviewing before taking the test can improve your scores. Knowing that our students have different preferences, Western offers several options to make it easy for you to review:
ACCUPLACER Study App
ACCUPLACER offers a free study app. You can download the app below. Click the link and follow the on-screen directions. The app allows you to take free, sample placement tests and review your answers.
Sample Questions for Student Review
The link below contains sample questions that will help you improve your skills. If you have difficulty with the questions, you may need to review prior to scheduling your placement testing appointment.
Placement Test Preparation (Test Prep Workshop)
Summer test preparation help is available during morning hours, June 5-August 10, through Learner Support and Transition. Call 608-785-9535 for more information.
If it’s been a while since you’ve been in school and you think you might benefit from a more thorough focused approach to sharpen your skills, the Learner Support and Transition area offers review session in the areas of reading comprehension, sentence skills, and math. Instructors work with you to identify and strengthen problem areas. Services are offered at the La Crosse campus and all GOAL Programs at the regional locations. Call 608-785-9535 for more information.
Things to Remember
- Bring a current photo ID and payment for your test.
- Child care is not provided.
- Only those authorized to test are allowed in the testing room.
The following items are not allowed in the testing room:
- Electronic devices including cell phones, pages, tables, iPods, laptop computers, or calculators
- Watches, Fitbits, or other wrist jewelry
- Jackets, coats, hats, scarves, sunglasses, or hoodie sweatshirts
- Purses, brief cases, backpacks, or wallets
- Get plenty of rest and eat properly prior to the test to help you concentrate and stay focused.
- The session can take up to 2-3 hours.
- Plan to arrive a few minutes before your scheduled placement testing session to allow for time to park on campus, use the restroom, pay for your test, and check in for testing.
- Be sure you understand the directions for each test before that test session begins. Ask questions if needed.
- Read each question carefully until you understand what the question is asking.
- If answering an item requires several steps, be sure you consider them all.
- If you have a problem or question during the test, raise your hand, and the test administrator or proctor will help you. Although they cannot answer test questions for you, they can help you with other types of problems.
If you are in need of specific testing accommodations, you will need to meet qualifying criteria. Please contact our Disability Services Office at 608-785-9875.