Western offers a variety of services to support you on the path to your degree. Whether you are a veteran, active service member, a survivor or dependent of a deceased or disabled veteran, we have resources to help you succeed.
We are honored to provide veterans and/or service members with priority enrollment one day ahead of others of the same enrollment status.
Effective for terms starting on or after 12/17/21, Post-9/11 GI Bill® students who receive Monthly Housing Allowance (MHA) and/or kicker payments are required to verify their enrollment to continue receiving their payments. Visit the VA's Enrollment Verification website to learn more about this requirement, including how to verify enrollment easily and securely via text message.
The Veteran Military Center and Veteran Lounge is open for in person meetings:
Monday-Thursday, 9:00 a.m.-5:00 p.m.
Friday, 9:00 a.m.-4:00 p.m.
Appointments can be made for virtual or in person meetings by calling 608-785-9436. You may also schedule appointments using the links below:
Jackie Helgeson, Director Veteran Services - Schedule an appointment with Jackie
David Vikeras, Benefits Coordinator - Schedule an appointment with David
Dustin Schultz, Veteran Specialist - Schedule an appointment with Dustin
If you’re new to Western or coming back to the college before the term has started, here is helpful checklist for veterans, military, and dependents.
- Review these planning tool sites
- College scorecard
- College navigator
- Student financial guide
- Shopping sheet to determine an estimate of possible aid
- VA comparison tool
- Make an appointment with Western’s Veteran Military Center (VMC) by calling 608-785-9436.
- Complete the college admission process
- Turn in required documents to the VMC
- DD 214 Form 4
- Certificate of Eligibility (COE) for your Federal VA Education Benefit (if you have already applied and been awarded)
- Request military transcripts to be sent to Veteran Military Center
- Complete the Certification Request Survey
- Turn in forms for other benefits
- Complete online application for Wisconsin Veteran Education Reimbursement Grant prior to the start of the term
- (Chapter 1606, 1607, 30) Remember to verify on the last day of each month you attend classes by using the Web Automated Verification of Enrollment (WAVE) Portal
- Review the WAVE guide
- Check benefit status on My Vet Tracker on your Blackboard dashboard. If you don’t see the My Vet Tracker, contact Western’s Veteran Military Center