Western offers a variety of services to support you on the path to your degree. Whether you are a veteran, active service member, a survivor or dependent of a deceased or disabled veteran, we have resources to help you succeed.
We are honored to provide veterans and/or service members with priority enrollment one day ahead of others of the same enrollment status.
The Veteran Military Center and Veteran Lounge is open for in person meetings:
Monday-Thursday, 9:00 a.m.-5:00 p.m.
Friday, 9:00 a.m.-4:00 p.m.
Appointments can be made for virtual or in person meetings by calling 608-785-9436. You may also schedule appointments using the links below:
Jackie Helgeson, Director Veteran Services - Schedule an appointment with Jackie
David Vikeras, Benefits Coordinator - Schedule an appointment with David
Dustin Schultz, Veteran Specialist - Schedule an appointment with Dustin
If you’re new to Western or coming back to the college before the term has started, here is helpful checklist for veterans, military, and dependents.
- Review these planning tool sites
- College scorecard
- College navigator
- Student financial guide
- Shopping sheet to determine an estimate of possible aid
- VA comparison tool
- Make an appointment with Western’s Veteran Military Center (VMC) by calling 608-785-9436.
- Complete the college admission process
- Turn in required documents to the VMC
- DD 214 Form 4
- Certificate of Eligibility (COE) for your Federal VA Education Benefit (if you have already applied and been awarded)
- Request military transcripts to be sent to Veteran Military Center
- Complete the Certification Request Survey
- Turn in forms for other benefits
- Complete online application for Wisconsin Veteran Education Reimbursement Grant prior to the start of the term
- (Chapter 1606, 1607, 30) Remember to verify on the last day of each month you attend classes by using the Web Automated Verification of Enrollment (WAVE) Portal
- Review the WAVE guide
- Check benefit status on My Vet Tracker on your Blackboard dashboard. If you don’t see the My Vet Tracker, contact Western’s Veteran Military Center