General Education Development (GED) and High School Equivalency Diploma (HSED) testing is conducted at Pearson VUE® Authorized Test Centers located in the Assessment Center on the La Crosse Campus and at Western’s Black River Falls and Tomah and locations. The test is computer-based and may only be proctored in Pearson VUE® Authorized sites.
To earn a GED credential, you must:
- Be 18 1/2 years old (or the class that you entered in 9th grade has graduated)
- Have completed the state-mandated Orientation/Careers/Employability Skills class
- Pass the GED Tests
- Meet further requirements related to coursework in health, civic literacy, and employability skills.
The first step toward earning your GED or HSED credential is to complete an orientation session through Western Technical College’s Learner Support and Transition. During this orientation, you will create your GED account. Once you have been approved as meeting the state requirements, you will use this account to register and pay for your testing sessions. Western proctor staff is unable to schedule your GED exams.
- Payment for GED tests occurs during the online registration process. The cost of each individual test is $33.75. You may pay using credit or debit cards; or using purchased vouchers. GED exam vouchers are purchased at the Cashier’s Office.
- Once your test is scheduled, you are able to cancel the appointment up to 24 hours in advance. No refunds are allowed for missed exams or cancellations within the 24 hour time period.
- A current photo ID is required at each testing session.
For more information and to create your GED account: https://ged.com
GED/HSED testing locations and dates are as follows:
|La Crosse||Mondays, 12:30 p.m.-4:30 p.m.
Tuesdays, 8:00 a.m.-12:30 p.m.
Wednesdays, 8:00 a.m.-12:30 p.m.
Second and Fourth Thursday of the month, 3:30 p.m.-8:00 p.m.
|Black River Falls||Schedule based on student need for GED testing services|
|Tomah||First Tuesday of the month, 1:00-5:30 p.m.
Third Thursday of the month, 9:00 a.m.-1:30 p.m.