As a registered nurse (RN), you will be at the heart of a team dedicated to excellence in managing and delivering healthcare. This program provides the skills to integrate social, mathematical, and physical sciences, pharmacology, and pathophysiology into your clinical decision making. You will learn to communicate effectively, collaborate with others, and mobilize resources to promote, maintain, and restore health. Critical thinking and problem solving using the nursing process are emphasized, preparing you for a leadership role. The practice of nursing includes adherence to established professional standards—consistently demonstrating caring, respect, and cultural sensitivity. There is a strong demand for nurses, in a wide variety of care settings.
All registered nurses are required to take a national exam to obtain a license to practice. Compared with all programs nationwide, Western graduates have been consistently successful in passing the exam.
The Nursing program uses a Petition Process to determine acceptance into the core Nursing courses. Read the information in the Admissions Requirements section below, or visit the Nursing Petition Requirements page for details.
To view the Nursing program’s required disclosure on professional licensure, please click here.
Estimated Program Cost
This program will cost about $10,700* based on tuition and basic program fees. There may be additional fees for books, materials, and testing. For more information on tuition costs, visit the Tuition Page.
* Tuition and fees are subject to change.
Nursing 2020-2021 Graduation Employment Stats
|Employed in Related Occupation||27|
|Employed in Non-related Occupations||0|
|Not in Labor Market||0|
Salary Data - Related Employment
|Part Time||Full Time|
|Average Hours Per Week||32||41|
|Median Hourly Wage||$31.20||$31.13|
|Hourly Wage Range||$27.60-$34.00||$16.16-$36.50|
|Median Annual Salary||$36,000||$62,485|
Respondents in Related Occupations
- Director of Nursing, Inpatient RN, MDS/Wound Nurse, Nurse, Registered Nurse, RN
- Living responsibly
- Refining professionalism
- Cultivating passion
- Implement one's role as a nurse in ways that reflect integrity, responsibility, ethical practices, and an evolving professional identity as a nurse committed to evidence-based practice, caring, advocacy and quality care
- Demonstrate appropriate written, verbal, and nonverbal communication in a variety of clinical contexts
- Integrate social, mathematical, and physical sciences, pharmacology, and pathophysiology in clinical decision making
- Provide patient centered care by utilizing the nursing process across diverse populations and health care settings
- Minimize risk of harm to patients, members of the healthcare team and self through safe individual performance and participation in system effectiveness
- Lead the multidisciplinary health care team to provide effective patient care throughout the lifespan
- Use information and technology to communicate, manage data, mitigate error, and support decision-making
Once you have been admitted to the college and accepted as a Nursing Pre-Major student, your next step is to complete the Nursing Associate Degree Petition Requirements.
COVID-19 Vaccination Status
COVID-19 vaccination is not required to attend classes at Western Technical College, however your clinical site now requires proof of completion of COVID-19 vaccination to attend their sites. To prevent any interruption in your clinical/practicum/field classes, we are now requiring you to provide us with your COVID-19 vaccination proof to enter this program.
Software and Technology
Most of Western’s classes require the use of a personal computer or laptop, standard software, internet access, and other technology-related items.
If you do not have a personal computer or laptop, or if the one you have does not meet the following criteria, resources may be available. Submit a Student Resource Request using our online form.
- Smartphones are not recommended for completing assignments.
- Chromebooks are not recommended due to issues with installing software that is needed for classes, such as Office 365.
- Web camera with microphone (usually built into newer laptops or can be purchased separately) is necessary for online participation.
- Western uses the Blackboard Learning Management System. Some courses may use Zoom or Microsoft Teams to meet and work virtually. Visit our website for guidance on how to access and use these tools.
- Office 365 (available to download for free once you have a student email)
- Recommended web browsers: Chrome or Firefox
For detailed specifications, please review Technology and Software Recommendations for Most Classes on Western’s IT Knowledgebase.
- Western has several computer labs available. Visit our website to find open hours and locations on the La Crosse campus. Or find information on how to access resources on our Regional Locations web page.
- The Learning Commons has computers, webcams, and microphones available for in-house use. Our librarians recommend checking your local public library for computer access on the weekends. Staff members can also provide information on free, off-campus Wi-Fi spots. Contact them at LearningCommons@westerntc.edu or call 608-785-9198.
- Contact the Learning Commons! The staff are happy to answer questions, provide individualized assistance, and direct you to other supports as needed.
The Associate Degree Nursing Program at Western Technical College located in La Crosse Wisconsin is accredited by the:
Accreditation Commission for Education in Nursing (ACEN)
3390 Peachtree Road NE, Suite 1400 Atlanta, GA 30326
The most recent accreditation decision made by the ACEN Board of Commissioners for the Associate Degree Nursing program at Western Technical College is Continuing Accreditation. View the public information disclosed by the ACEN regarding this program at http://www.acenursing.us/accreditedprograms/programSearch.htm.
Our Health and Public Safety programs are required to report additional information to prospective students, including certification exams, licensure, program completion rates, etc. You can find this information in the documents below:
Deb Kaiser (last names A-H)
Ku Thao (last names I-O)
Stacey Nelson (last names P-Z)