Free tax preparation and assistance for individuals and married couples making less than $64,000 in 2016.
When: 9:00 a.m.-3:00 p.m. on Saturdays, February 25, March 18*, and April 8
How: Call Consumer Credit Counseling Services at 608-784-8380 to set up an appointment. Walk-ins welcome but not guaranteed.
Tax assistance can be provided one-to-one where a volunteer will prepare your 2016 tax return for you. Clients also have the option of using MyFreeTaxes.com to file their own taxes for free at a computer while a volunteer assistant is present to answer questions.
What to bring with you?
- Photo ID
- Social Security cards for you, your spouse, and dependents
- Wage and earning statements (Form W-2, W-2G, 1099-R,1099-Misc) from all employers
- All Forms 1095, Health Insurance Statements
- Health Insurance Exemption Certificate, if received
- A copy of last year’s federal and state returns, if available
- Proof of bank account routing and account numbers for direct deposit such as a blank check
- Rent certificate (if applicable)
The VITA site will also offer free credit reports, technology support by Western’s Student Run Help Desk, financial aid information, and La Crosse County Human Services assistance.
- Financial Education Events
- Tax Help at the La Crosse Public Library
- Free Credit Reports
- La Crosse County Human Services Resources Guide
Want to volunteer to help at VITA?
This service is a community collaboration brought to you by MyFreeTaxes.com, Consumer Credit Counseling Service, Coulee Bank, Great Rivers United Way, Marine Credit Union, $MART La Crosse, and Western Technical College Community Engagement.